I grew up on a Queensland cattle property and have worked as a newspaper journalist for more than 20 years. When at Brisbane’s Courier-Mail I wrote about and reviewed books, music and live entertainment. I now live in Ballarat, Australia, with my wife, and fellow writer, Kirstyn McDermott.
In 2011-15, I was the editor for Queensland Writers Centre’s magazine Writing Queensland, and also do freelance editing, proofing and manuscript appraisal.
My writing has won the William Atheling Jnr award for Criticism or Review, been highly commended in the Aurealis Awards and been shortlisted in the Ditmars and the Australian Shadows. In 2012, I received a Chronos award for ‘best fan writer’, and in 2013 won Chronos awards for Best Novel (Salvage, Twelfth Planet Press) and Best Short Story (‘Mornington Ride’, Epilogue, FableCroft Publishing). Salvage was also a Ditmar award finalist for Best Novel and, along with Blood and Dust, was a finalist for Best Horror Novel in the Aurealis Awards, and Blood and Dust was also a finalist in the Australian Shadows awards.
In 2008, I finished a Master of Arts (research) in creative writing with a focus on Australian vampire Gothic. In 2015, I started a PhD (research) in creative writing, centred on climate change. I was director of the Aurealis Awards in 2004 and have served on various judging panels since.
My fiction, detailed in the bibliography, is invariably darkly themed. Other interests include:
- Travel: fave destinations include New Orleans, Egypt, Canada, Europe, Mexico
- Reading: fave writers include Poppy Z Brite, Kim Wilkins, Stephen King, William Gibson…
- Movies: faves include Near Dark, Dracula, Nosferatu, Alien, Blade Runner, The Crow, The Matrix, 24 Hour Party People…
- Music and live entertainment: fave bands include Concrete Blonde, The Tea Party, Joy Division, Pink Floyd, NIN, The Cult, Sisters of Mercy, Alice Cooper, Siouxsie, Bowie, Duran Duran…
- Others: photography, paganism and religion, mythology and culture, tattoos and body art
Contact Jason Nahrung
- You can email me at: jnahrung AT gmail DOT com
- Look me up on MySpace
- Connect through photography on Flickr
- Subscribe to my blog via email or RSS at the links provided at right
- For purely writing news, please see my Facebook page.