I grew up on a Queensland cattle property and have worked as a newspaper journalist for more than 20 years. When at Brisbane’s Courier-Mail I wrote about and reviewed books, music and live entertainment. I now live in Ballarat, Australia, with my wife, and fellow writer, Kirstyn McDermott.
In 2011-15, I was the editor for Queensland Writers Centre’s magazine Writing Queensland, and also do freelance editing, proofing and manuscript appraisal.
My writing has won a couple of awards and been shortlisted for a few more, as detailed in the biography section.
In 2008, I finished a Master of Arts (research) in creative writing with a focus on Australian vampire Gothic. In 2015, I started a PhD (research) in creative writing, centred on climate change. I was director of the Aurealis Awards in 2004 and have served on various judging panels since.
I have run workshops on writing for Logan libraries and Bundaberg’s WriteFest, been a guest at writing events including writing festivals in Brisbane, Melbourne and Newcastle, and been a panellist at many conventions, including the World Science Fiction Convention, World Fantasy Convention, Continuum, Conflux and Conjure.
My fiction, detailed in the bibliography, is invariably darkly themed. Other interests include:
- Travel: fave destinations include New Orleans, Egypt, Canada, Europe, Mexico
- Reading: fave writers include Poppy Z Brite, Kim Wilkins, Stephen King, William Gibson…
- Movies: faves include Only Lovers Left Alive, Byzantium, Near Dark, Dracula, Nosferatu, Alien, Blade Runner, The Crow, The Matrix, Control, 24 Hour Party People…
- Music and live entertainment: fave bands include Concrete Blonde, The Tea Party, Joy Division, Pink Floyd, NIN, The Cult, Sisters of Mercy, Alice Cooper, Siouxsie, Bowie, Duran Duran…
- Others: photography, paganism and religion, mythology and culture, tattoos and body art
Contact Jason Nahrung
- You can email me at: jnahrung AT gmail DOT com
- Connect through photography on Flickr
- Subscribe to my blog via email or RSS at the links provided at right
- For purely writing news, please see my Facebook page.